Patient Blood Management (PBM) (EN)
Prof. Dr. rer. medic. Axel Hofmann
Patient Blood Management comprises an interdisciplinary set of measures, all aimed at increasing patient safety, promoting the rational use of blood transfusions, and improving the quality of care while reducing costs.
Prof. Hofmann will introduce the topic by presenting the scientific evidence as well as its economic impact on the health care system. He will then open the floor for discussion on the different aspects, organizational challenges, hurdles, and possible achievements with such a concept.
In view of the ongoing discussions on cost control in the Swiss healthcare system, we hope that this WHO-initiated concept that offers a unique opportunity to combine savings and quality improvement will spark your interest.
Axel Hofmann is a Doctor of Medical Science with a master’s degree in Economics. He is Adjunct Professor at the Faculty of Health and Medical Science, Division of Surgery, University of Western Australia and Visiting Professor at the Institute of Anesthesiology at the University Hospital Zurich, Switzerland.
He is one of the originators and international key opinion leaders of Patient Blood Management (PBM). His focus is PBM-related clinical and health economic research. Another important activity is the implementation of PBM programs in the public health sector and in large hospital systems. He co-authored the European Union guidelines «Supporting Patient Blood Management (PBM) in the EU - A practical implementation guide for hospitals» and «Building national programs on Patient Blood Management (PBM) in the EU – A guide for health authorities» and currently serves as chair of the World Health Organization’s (WHO) working group to develop a guidance for the implementation of PBM.
To obtain credits for this training, please click on the button «Apply for credits» during the live WebUp. Please note that this function is only available during the live session. For this WebUp you will receive the following credits:
- 1.5 SGAR
In cooperation with
- This Webinar is provided free of charge. To watch this session please click on «Login» then log in with your FomF-account. If you do not have any account yet, you can create one by clicking on «Registrieren».
- By clicking the button «Termin vormerken» you will receive a reminder email 3 hours before the start of this WebUp and / or an SMS reminder 15 minutes before the start.
- You can ask your questions live during this WebUp session. In order to do this please click on the four lines in the upper left corner of the player. In this menu you can submit your questions in the chat room by clicking on «Fragen» and then the speech bubbles.
- Missed a session? No problem, after just 24 hours the recording of the WebUp will be available on this page OnDemand.
- In order to have any technical issues about the stream, please visit our FAQ pag.